I subscribe to a number of health and wellness online newsletters. Earlier in the month, a headline came across my computer screen that caught my eye: “Nestle’, the world’s leading nutrition, health and wellness company” issued food trend predictions for 2013. So, no matter where you call home, here are some things that we can look forward to in the coming year:
- Manufacturers of your favorite frozen and prepared foods are expected to open regional production facilities to assure freshness and convenience.
- Bottled water will outsell any and all brands/flavors of carbonated soft drinks.
- The food truck “craze” will expand to include eateries for man’s best friend. (gives a whole new meaning to the term doggie bag)
- Mac & cheese and other comfort foods from our past will get simple tweaks like specialty ingredients and unique presentations.
- As food companies work to increase the nutrient content of their offerings vegetables become the not-so-secret “secret ingredient”.
- 85% of the population growth in the US will be multicultural. Look for grocery and food manufacturers to appeal to ethnic tastes.
- Where the kids are concerned parents of young children have long avoided added salt and sugar. Research suggests that a child’s eating patterns may be fully established by age 2. Products directed towards the youngest consumers will likely have enhanced health and nutrition focus.
What trends do you predict or would like to see in 2013?