My parents have begun their annual migration north from Florida, and on the way home from the train station we stopped at my favorite Mexican restaurant for dinner. Mexican food done “American” can be a high fat, high calorie excursion. But armed with a few strategies I was able to enjoy this meal and you can too.
“Eat Right Your Way, Every Day” recognizes the contribution many ethnic cuisines can make to developing a healthy eating style. Traditionally, many meals south-of-the-border are prepared simply with fresh ingredients. Keep this in mind when making your selections from the menu.
- Steamed corn tortillas provide a serving of whole grain and don’t contain the fat of crispy taco shells.
- Look for grilled chicken or fish for a lean, satisfying protein.
- Skip the sour cream, go easy on the queso and ask for salsa as a condiment instead.
- Guacamole contains the healthy monounsaturated fat of the avocado but moderation is the rule when enjoying this delicious add-on.
- Order extra pepper strips and other veggies to stuff tacos and fajitas.
- Save calories by bringing half of the meal home to enjoy for lunch the next day.
- Oh, those crispy chips! If you can’t stop at 3 or 4 it is best to send the basket back to the kitchen.
Be sure to look for and enjoy the healthy opportunities at your favorite ethnic restaurants. Eat Right Your Way, Every Day!