Tomorrow morning all of our Florida students will be back in school. And while new clothes are laid out for the morning and back packs sit near the front door, has anyone given any thought to breakfast?
I know that breakfast can be a real battle in some households. But it is too important a battle not to win:
- Concentration and behavior in the classroom is better.
- Scores on standardized tests are higher.
- Fewer students in the clinic with headache/stomach ache.
- Less absenteeism.
I think the mistake that many families make is not planning ahead. Not every family has time for pancakes and eggs in the morning. While cereal, fruit and milk is quick and nutritious, breakfast does not need to be breakfast food. The object is to get some food into growing bodies and fuel into working brains. Consider these options:
- Toasted cheese sandwich and applesauce.
- Banana and peanut butter smoothie.
- Slice of cold pizza and juice.
- Trail mix and yogurt parfait.
- Egg salad on toast and glass of milk.
And since every school in Florida (and maybe your district too) offers breakfast, there is really no excuse for your child to go to class without it.
Post by Nadine